Friday 15 July 2011

Ouch

I am starting to think that France disagrees with me. I had only been back in the country 24 hours when I had a nasty gastric attack which was quickly followed by tooth/gum problems. For the past week I have been experiencing the most excruciating pain in my upper gum/jaw which the max dose of codeine/paracetamol and ibuprofen has been unable to calm. It has been particularly puzzling as brushing my teeth has not been in the slightest bit painful and my gums are not red or inflamed at all as far as I can see. But could I get an emergency appointment with a dentist in order to get it checked out? Could I hell as like! I have consequently been feeling generally washed out and listless and on the verge of going to the hospital to try and get it sorted. But this morning I was finally able to get in to see a random dentist in Lavelanet who x-rayed my top gum and decided that I had some inflammation in between two teeth which could be causing the pain and for which he has prescribed a regular application of 'argile verte' which, to you and me is kaolin! I had never heard of such a thing being used in a dental context but I have nothing to lose and so have been applying the paste to the affected area this afternoon. I have to say that it does seem to calm the discomfort in the short term but will it resolve the problem in the long term? I bloody well hope so!

Despite the tooth issue, I have been forcing myself to get out and stay active despite my general listlessness. Last weekend we had a lovely 70km/830m+ ride on the roadies in the warm sun down to Esperaza in the Aude which reassured me that my fitness was still there which was nice. The sunflowers are now out in the area which is a wonderful summery sight.
The only downside to the ride was a collision what I think was a wasp during a descent which resulted in a very painful sting on my bottom lip! Fortunately, the pain and the swelling subsided within the hour and there is no lasting damage.

A kick up the bum also got me out for a 10km run from the house yesterday and then today a short 44km/540m+ roadie circuit up to the Plateau de Sault which again reassured me that my legs have not suffered .... which was nice. But I am looking forward to getting back to feeling 100% again and to getting out  on the mountain bikes with my bestest buddy Pat next week while Andy is up in the Alps in Sadie watching le Tour de France. I don't like feeling under par!

No comments: