Monday 2 May 2011

Rapid Recovery

I was expecting some repercussions from my efforts in the race last Sunday as I really did give it everything, but, to my surprise and delight, I had some muscle soreness on Monday which had eased by Tuesday and I was even able to manage an 11km run/jog with Andy on Wednesday. I must be getting stronger/fitter! We also did the 7km circuit above the house on Saturday which is always a pleasure to run, despite its 'straight up from the start' nature.

The weather for the past week has been generally unsettled with quite strong, gusting winds at times which has not made an outing on the roadies a very attractive proposition. However, yesterday was more settled, so I plotted a reasonable route and we headed out. It took is over into the Razes area of the Aude which is a beautiful area of sparsely populated undulating countryside and little villages
We were stunned by how quiet the country lanes were, considering it was a Sunday and we didn't encounter a single other roadie rider on the whole circuit! Bizarre. It was a very undulating 'lumpy' circuit with plenty of ups to counter the sweeping downs. Hard work. The wind also made us work harder so it was a good workout, but the legs coped well which was a great feeling.
 We covered 94kms in all which included over 1000m of ascent and were back home in under 4 hours. It was a handy outing.

No comments: