Monday 1 March 2010

Up onto the fells

Kentmere is a special place, nestled at the head of a valley, surrounded by beautiful scenery The lack of parking space at the head of the valley ensures that the hills will not be overwhelmed by people at this time of year. I was looking forward to having a run up onto the high fells and hoped to tick off the Kentmere round, an appox 20km circuit taking in the major peaks above the valley. The only factor that could thwart my plan was snow on the higher fells

Up to the Garburn Pass and en route to The Yoke, the hillside was windblown and the snow didn't present a problemThe view started to open out as I gained height and the Western fells revealed themselves in their full gloryThe pooch and I made good progress and quickly reached the Yoke and pushed on to Ill Bell and then Froswick. From there, I could get a good view of the second half of the round that runs up to Thornthwaite Crag, on to High Street and then Harter Fell and Kentmere Pike with Kentmere Tarn down in the valley. It was very white. If the pooch had not been with me I would have gone for it but I could not risk arriving at the head of the valley with an exhausted hound and and having to backtrack the way that I had came. So I turned tail and retraced my steps back towards Ill Bell....
... back down to the Garburn Pass and to the valley below. I had covered a total distance of 14.5kms with 635m of ascent. It had been a cracking outing but the Kentmere Round is still Unfinished Business. It would be good to complete it before we leave the Lakes on Friday. We'll see.

1 comment:

Pedalling Polarcherry said...

absolutely stunning. those pics just made me incredibly envious!