Tuesday 12 January 2010

Moving

It's happens very rarely to me. In fact, I can probably count on one hand the number of books that I have not been able to put down. But then, quite by chance, somebody mentioned 'Tales of the Female Nomad' by Rita Golden Gelman to me. I looked it up on Amazon and read the first few pages on the 'Look Inside' feature and I was hooked. I finished it last night. I didn't want to finish it. I wanted it to carry on. I found it an immensely emotional, beautifully written and profoundly moving account of her life and quest for spirituality amongst various indigenous communities in the late 80s/90s. I am now wondering what I could possibly read to follow that! There is more about Rita and her nomadic life on her website.

On another topic, thanks to more amenable temperatures, we finally escaped from Pissou today, made it over the Col de Port and headed down to Ax-les-Thermes for our first skiing experience of the winter. I didn't have an overly-confident session, but was still able to get myself down a red without ending up on my backside! It was good to be out and back on the skis again.

No comments: