Sunday 17 May 2009

I wasn't going to, but .....

....well, I did. And other than very tired, I feel really good for it! Kev is away at the moment, so I went over to Pat's yesterday evening and she somehow persuaded me to give the trail race a bash today. Since Thursday night when I took my last meds, their side-effects have been steadily working their way out of my system and my stability has come on in leaps and bounds. The good thing about the race today is that it was very well marshalled and there were several 'get out' spots in case I needed them. It was never going to be a 'race' for me .... I set off rather nervously and with some trepidation, with the intention of simply completing the course. But Pat accompanied me all the way round, giving me massive encouragement and some excellent advice, when it became apparent that my fitness is some way off where it was in early March which is when I last did a meaningful run. It would have been a tough race on the best of days as it included some incredibly stiff ascent. The last one was an absolute killer with 250m of ascent in just 2 kms (there was a total of 600m of ascent over the 13km course).But I made it around without mishap ... and did not come in last which was a bonus! It had been a great outing on some fantastic footpaths, tracks and trails in perfect weather, with a fine atmosphere and was topped off by the post-race communal 'repas' which included a very tasty venison casserole. Purfik! THANKS PAT and thanks to the hubby for chauffering me over to Foix three days on the trot :-)

2 comments:

Jamie Goodwin said...

:o) glad you got out and are feeling better.

Anne said...

Penny, tu es drôlement courageuse! /Anne