Wednesday 3 December 2008

A little bit of this and a little bit of that

The temperatures have risen to between 2 and 4 degrees today which has resulted in the crisp white snow turning to a grey slushy mush. Not pleasant. So we headed down into St Girons. On the hill down into Massat we encountered 2 chasseurs on the side of the road, animatedly pointing down into the woodland, guns at the ready. They had obviously spotted some game. Good luck to them I thought.

The main aim of the trip to St G was to get myself fitted out with some reading glasses, using the prescription that I secured in the UK in early November. Never having worn glasses before, I found it incredibly hard to settle on a pair which a) I liked and b) that suited my face. However, I got there in the end and will be collecting them early next week. I find it strange to admit it, but I am actually quite excited about picking them up! It is a relief to be able to say that I no longer equate 'needing reading glasses' with 'getting old'!

On the drive back up from Massat, we encountered a hunting dog at the side of the road, excitedly pawing and chewing at a rather large sanglier (wild boar) which had fallen there, intermittently barking that oh so familiar bark that we hear so often around here. The boar had probably been shot by the chasseurs earlier and had staggered up to the road where it had either been knocked over or it had simply lain down and bled to death. Either way, two chasseurs vehicles were very quickly on the scene to collect their booty. They had been lucky.

Better, clearer weather forecast for tomorrow and then rain forecast for Friday, but better weather at the weekend.

No comments: