Friday 17 October 2008

Addiction

They say that the first step to recovery is to admit your addiction. OK, I admit it, but I don't see that there is anything 'bad' about it. I mean, if I didn't pick up the walnuts, apples and chestnuts, they would just rot, wouldn't they. The problem is that I can't walk past and not pick up the windfall and we now have bags of apples (and I mean probably 20+ kgs) that will probably just rot and end up on the compost heap. But there is only so much you can do with apples! Hey ho.

I have spent much of today removing the membrane from 1 kg of chestnuts (a tedious and very time-consuming process) which are now steeping in a sugar and vanilla solution which will miraculously transform them into Marrons Glacés in a couple of days time. I roasted another couple of kgs yesterday evening which will also need the inner membrane removing before I can make chestnut purée with them. But that will have to wait until tomorrow!

I will be using some of the fresh walnuts to make an apple, walnut and apricot loaf tomorrow. I will have to store the rest for use in salads and other dishes. The good thing about walnuts is that they will keep.

No comments: