Sunday 11 May 2008

Clearing

I got back to work on the patch of land that I started clearing with the scythe last week and found more little fruit saplings struggling for survival amongst the suffocating weeds. They can breathe a little easier now. The land around Pissou is starting to look a little bit more cared for and less 'abandoned' which gives a good feeling. The clearing has also given us access to a couple of mature cherry trees which are showing promising signs of a good harvest this year. Mmm, cherry clafoutis :-)
I have also discovered an excellent patch of comfrey that has sprung up on the land where we cleared the brambles a few weeks ago. I will be harvesting that and using it as a mulch/fertiliser on my vegetables in due course. I have read that it is also an excellent low fibre, high protein, high mineral feedstuff for livestock, which I didn't know.

There is a proliferation of thyme in various spots around Pissou and now is the best time to harvest it, just before it flowers. So this morning, I collected two big bunches that will be hung up to dry for use in the winter. I will probably harvest some rosemary too in due course. In the meantime, slug patrol takes place on a regular basis and the chilli, capsicum and aubergine plants are holding their own. I am starting to feel a little more optimistic about the prospect of some veggie success this summer!

And finally, the flower picture of the day is of these fantastic peony blooms - fab aren't they!

No comments: