Tuesday 11 September 2007

Crisis!

Well, it had to happen some time, but we didn't have any warning and I was totally unprepared............................................ the boulanger has gone on holiday! I did my normal 'pop to Espies' (2 mins down the road) to get bread for lunch, only to be greeted by a sign on the door that said 'magasin fermé du 11 au 21 septembre'. What are we going to do?! To make matters worse, Françoise who runs the little 'epicerie' and general store next door has ALSO shut up shop for a couple of days! Unbelievable! In all seriousness though, Gil the boulanger works his ar*e off and has had an exceptionally busy summer so his break is well-earned. It seems to be the thing in our neck of the woods that after working non-stop, 7 days a week for the peak summer months, the shop-keepers shut up shop for 1-2 weeks in September to recharge their batteries. The boucher (butchers) and one of my other fave little shops in Massat from where I get some lovely ground coffee have also been closed since the beginning of the month but I think we should be returning to normal tomorrow (apart from the lack of bread!) - thank goodness.

So this morning was spent doing the final tidy up/clean up in the grenier which included Andy 'finishing off' the velux window frame which the previous owners obviously didn't have a clue how to tackle!
After lunch, I got cracking with the spraying. I got all togged up in me ghostbusters outfit..... and got pumping. The job wasn't as bad as we had been expecting and the spray less noxious than anticipated so we decided to do both sides in one hit. This means we can start (and hopefully finish!) putting the insulation up tomorrow and then the plasterboard by the weekend. I can't wait for the full transformation to be finished. It is going to be such a lovely room.

Lamb curry for tea tonight (the cooking smells are making me drool!)

No comments: